My apologies for the cheesy alliteration post title. I started to think about what I could write about this week, and thought…hummmm…I made a pretty pillow I’ve yet to show you, and we’ve made some progress with the yard, but that’s only two words. We all know alliteration sounds so much better with three, right? Wouldn’t you know it, my klutzy nature came through.
More on that later.
Several months ago I purchased some fabric for a steal. It’s a very pretty crewel design that was originally $40 a yard. But it was a remnant and even though it was marked $20, I got it for $10 because the ‘2’ wasn’t clear on the tag so the sales associate said she would sell it for $10, and who was I to argue?
In my quest to simplify, I wanted to replace the pillows on my bed with a bolster. I’ve always loved the look of bolsters, plus the shape of a bolster was perfect to highlight the beautiful designs on this fabric. The only problem was I couldn’t find the length I wanted in a ready made bolster and even if I could, they’re pretty expensive. I came up with a solution but before I tell you what it was here’s a few pics of the finished product.
Because of the fringe, you can’t see the sides but I wanted to show you anyway so I squished it out of the way :).
It’s about 40″ long and most bolsters that you might find at fabric stores are around 24″. So…we happened to have a ‘draft dodger’. You know, the flexible long squishy items you use on a windowsill or bottom of a door to prevent drafts? Sorta like this except mine wasn’t as pretty (or as clean!).
I wrapped it in batting until I got the thickness I wanted and that was it!
I found instructions on how to make a bolster pillow in a sewing book I’ve had forever, and I was going to give you a step-by-step tutorial, but then I figured there are enough of those on-line and you didn’t need me to reinvent the wheel. Besides, I think most of you reading aren’t really sewers anyway, but just in case you want to know how to make one, I found a tutorial that is pretty much identical to the instructions I used and you can find it here.
Of course, the absolute easiest way to ‘sew’ a bolster is simply wrap fabric around the pillow, leaving extra fabric at the ends and tie with ribbon, but I wanted a pillow that was a little more finished looking, plus I wanted to make use of the fringe which I’ve had forever. I think it makes it look a little classy ;).
Now here is the ‘progress’ part. All the topsoil and pea gravel were delivered and spread, so things are starting to take shape.
We had a little bump in the road though. Actually two bumps.
We have a high water table, so we have a foundation drain. Usually, there’s always a little bit of water that comes out, but we noticed there was nothing coming out, and of course we noticed it AFTER all the topsoil and fill were done. The guys dug it up and did whatever it is they do in those circumstances so it should be fine.
As for that second bump, it rained the night the contractors were finished with their part, and we realized that water was going where it shouldn’t from the gutter. Not their fault, but this was what we saw the next morning.
We spent the better part of Friday digging a ditch to redirect the water. I guess I should have titled this post ‘my achy breaky back‘, but I’ve kinda btdt, just with a different body part.
Now about those puddles…
A few days ago while turning the Lazy Susan in a corner shelf, an almost full bottle of liquid smoke fell off and broke. Of course, everything went under the bottom of the Lazy Susan, making it difficult to wipe up the spill. Fisherman took everything out and pulled up the shelf and cleaned it as best he could, but that stuff is stinky! In the meantime I went to a hardware store and picked up something that absorbs odors which seems to have done the trick.
So yesterday I made a big smoothie for lunch and went to the porch to drink it. I placed it on the cocktail table but didn’t notice there were coasters there and the glass tipped over and soaked the rug and even splashed on the sofa.
I got a bucket with water and spent the next fifteen minutes cleaning it up and vacuuming. After I was finished I put the bucket near the top of the stairs leading to the basement and figured as long as I had the vacuum out I’d give the living room rug a quick once over.
You guessed it. The cord for the vacuum knocked over the bucket and it went tumbling down the stairs, splashing water everywhere.
I guess it’s true that things happen in threes.
In other news…
Last weekend we brought the RV to our community and a few of our friends got a tour, and I drove it a bit too. We sorta decided on a name. The acronym is BAM, which stands for BIG ASS MAMA.
And that’s for the RV, not me, although I can have the same acronym, only it would stand for BAD ASS MAMA ;).
We also hitched our car to it to get a feel for how it handles on hills (our area is very hilly). We made it, but let me just say right now we’re gonna have to get used to being the couple that has 50 cars behind them with every one of the drivers giving us the birdy. That’s all I’m gonna say about that.