Whew!! Today marks exactly 1 year since I wrote my very first post. What started out as something of a whim has grown into an almost full time endeavor and has brought with it tons of challenges and unexpected surprises. I had no idea when I started this blog how much I would need to learn just to keep my head above cyber-water. If you know me at all, you know I dislike complacency and laziness, and if you’re a blogger and you possess those traits you might want to consider politics instead ;).
If you blog or have a website of some sort, you know how truthful this next statement is: there’s always, always, always, something to learn! That’s one of the things I love, and yet it’s also one of the things that gets my panties in a knot. You see, it seems there is never enough time in the day to accomplish what I want to. Whether it be learning about my camera, social media, html or a host of other things way too numerous to mention, time just races by. But at the same time I love a challenge, and I never want to stop learning. Ever. So what have I learned these past 12 months? I thought you’d never ask.
- I’ve learned I’m a tortoise, not a hare. I think I’ve always known that though. I have always been a late bloomer. I started college at 23, started a business at 46 and started a blog at 58. After a year, I still don’t know html (and probably never will), nor can I design a blog button. As far as I’m concerned, that’s what graphic designers do, and I’m lucky to have a good one who has the patience of Job. There’s no shame in being a tortoise mind you. Let’s not forget who wins the race.
- I’ve learned there are more creative people in this world than you can ever truly imagine, and many of them are giving, generous souls happy to help tortoises like me along the way.
- I’ve learned that even in my little corner of the blog world, I can inspire others, and that’s really what it’s all about. And oftentimes that inspiration comes from unexpected places. It’s interesting how sometimes I can spend hours gathering pictures for a post and do tons of research and get few comments, and then I can write a silly post without much effort and everyone enjoys it! Go figure.
- I’ve learned, albeit veeerrrrry slowly, how to make heads or tails out of my brand spanking new big girl camera. A year ago I didn’t even know what dslr stood for and I was taking pics with a Polaroid. (Ok, that’s an exaggeration).
- Lastly, I’ve learned that blogging keeps me accountable and helps me set goals, not just for my blog but for life.
There’s a great web site called BraveGirlsClub. It’s filled with inspirational quotes, among other things, and if you sign up you’ll get emails every day like this one, which pretty much sums up my attitude about blogging.
Dear Diligent Girl,
Put it in your mind that quitting is not an option.
Oftentimes, the tides will change. The wind will shift. Things will start to come together in the time JUST after we were sure is was time to quit. Keep moving forward, pointing yourself in the direction that you need to be going.
If you are facing the direction of your most wonderful end goal, and some days you are only FACING it, that is part of keeping going. Some days you will take steps. Some days you will just keep yourself turned in the right direction. It’s all important progress. Just don’t quit! Never never never never quit.
You can do it. You ARE DOING IT.
And you are absolutely phenomenal at it.
Thanks so much for encouraging me along the way this past year sweet readers! I’m glad you hung around, and I’m here to stay (like it or not).