Last week I talked about how to decorate on a budget and some bathroom do’s and don’ts. Today I would like to talk about the all important home office. Do you work from home? If you do, the office should be one of the most important rooms in your home, and deserves proper planning. Too often, we settle for whatever space is left over, whether that’s the dining room table, or a corner of your bedroom and what ends up happening is we dread working because we just don’t feel comfortable in the space. Whether it’s pursuing a hobby or working, we all need a space that works and helps make our hours spent there productive and enjoyable. A few months ago, I wrote a post about my new craft space, and I can tell you it’s a joy to have a place that is my own where I can store whatever I need and have easy access to it.
What are some of the must-haves for your home office?
- Storage is the number one priority! No one ever said they had too much storage, right?
- Good lighting. This is important in every room, but especially in your office. Task lighting is essential.
- A large work surface.
- A comfy chair. If you need to pay more, it’s worth it, but we found a really great one at a flea market for $8!
- Lots of outlets.
- Windows! As I type this, I’m in a room that has one tiny window, and believe me, it’s NOT ideal.
- Just because it’s an office, doesn’t mean it has to be boring. Choose a color you love! How’s this for style and femininity?
Here’s an office with great storage, lighting and space, and it has just the right amount of color.
I’m so in love with this space! Large, well lit and plenty of storage. Swoon!
Ok, so you don’t have an entire room to devote to your craft? No worries. Make the most of a small space with effective storage options and a strategically placed fabric skirt to hide the clutter.
Do you have a designated office space in your home? What works for you and what would you change if you could?