If you’ve been following along, you know I’m on a mission to soften up the interior of our log cabin weekend home. I’ve talked about our piano bar and some ASCP projects I’ve done to lighten the space up a bit. I decided I wanted to put some drapes behind the piano to add not only softness but perhaps interject some much needed pattern. I went to Osgoods which just happens to be the biggest fabric store in the world, or at least it seems that way. You can spend hours there, and my friend and I pretty much did just that.
Finding something was more challenging than expected, because I wanted something elegant, but not too elegant or else it wouldn’t work in the space. I wanted color, but not too much or I know I would tire of it and it might be too jarring. I went up and down the aisles over and over and grew more and more confused. I estimated I needed about 22 yards so I really wanted to like what I would end up buying. Finally I decided that I would buy ready made drapes and augment them with some home made ones. I left without buying anything and went to JCPenney and got some basic drapes that had some subtle texture that might work with lots of different styles and colors.
I bought eight panels because my intention was to do two walls and I wanted to make sure I had enough. We went back to Osgoods with the panels in hand and finally found something that I thought would work. It’s a leaf/fern tone on tone pattern in neutral colors, ranging from cream to medium tan, and I bought 11 1/2 yards.
I got to work on sewing them while Fisherman put up the hardware. This wasn’t as easy as it seems, because it had to be mounted on a log which of course isn’t flat. Even though we measured, when they were hung they were nearly four inches too short. So he re-installed the hardware, and now it has the droopy hem I prefer. In the meantime, we were struggling with the placement of the drapes because the sides of the window aren’t even. We didn’t know if we should cover the entire wall on the left or leave some of the wood exposed. We finally decided on the later. We also decided that it would be overkill to install drapes on the other wall to the right of the piano, so I ended up with twice as much fabric and store bought panels than I needed. I will return the panels, but I’m stuck with the fabric. I’ll probably make drapes for the living room, which is adjacent to the dining area, but I’ll still have about 4 yards left over.
Here’s a picture before the drapes were installed.
And after…sorry it’s a different angle, but you get the idea :).
So after I was done with the drapes, I started working on an Ikea rug. I’m going to paint a stripe pattern in tan/green and use it under the dining table.
To be continued…